HISTORY OF GARRETT & CAMPBELL
523 Nichols St.
15 East. 5th St.
523 Nichols St.
History Behind the Current Building and How Garrett and Campbell Got Started.
The current location of Garrett & Campbell is at 523 Nichols Street. In historic downtown Fulton Missouri. The building of the current location was built in 1900. In 1904, John Judt (1861- 1930) and Wade Harris (1858-1941) opened the Judt-Harris Hardware Co. established and located in this building. The following is a list of items carried at the store, hardware, farming implements, threshar supplies, wire fencing, buggies, wagons, stoves, and ranges. The company also made a specialty of the Yale-Town goods, such as padlocks, night latches, builders' hardware, ornaments, cabinet locks, tuck locks, etc.
Wade Harris was the president of Judt-Harris Hardware Company and John Judt was the secretary and treasurer of the company. When John Judt died on Nov. 17, 1930, Mr. Harris became the company’s sole owner, until he retired in August 1940. Wade Harris sold his hardware store to Willard Rohn. Willard Rohn changed the name of the company once again to Harris-Rohn Hardware Company. In 1945 Willard Rohn passed away and Harry Monroe Estes bought the building and named it Estes Hardware.
The Garrett and Campbell company started in 1950 when Ernest Clifford Garrett opened the plumbing business called E.C. Garrett & Sons with his son Bill Garrett. The business was first located at 15 East 5th St. (Which was across the street from the Fulton Court house.) Sterling T. Campbell bought half of the E.C. Garrett & Sons from his father-in-law E.C. Garrett in 1964 when E.C. Garrett retired. Bill Garrett and Sterling T. Campbell became partners in plumbing and hydronic heating and renamed the company Garrett & Campbell.
In 1965, Mr. Garrett and Mr. Campbell bought Vaughn Plumbing and Heating and added heating and air conditioning with Lennox equipment. Then in 1967, Garrett and Campbell bought Estes Hardware and moved to 523 Nichols St. in Fulton. Not far from the original location. They sold appliances in the 70's when appliances first came popular. The appliances were bright and natural colors. Garrett and Campbell also performed state vehicle inspections.
In 1995 Bill Garrett retired and sold his half of the business to Mr. Campbell's son and daughter, Bud Campbell and Brenda Loeffler. In 1998 Sterling Campbell retired leaving the business to be run by Bud and Brenda. The brother and sister team worked together running Garrett and Campbell until 2019. The business remained in the family for over 69 years.
David Anderson joined the Garrett & Campbell team in 2015. In 2019, Brenda Loeffler retired and sold her half to David and Anne Anderson. Together Bud, David, and Anne have & will continue to run it as a family-owned business.